[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-178 Regional Use of Resources

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Jul 14 13:44:05 EDT 2012

On Jul 14, 2012, at 10:07 AM, Tony Hain wrote:

> Owen DeLong wrote:
>>
>> Do you think that an ISP from out of region should be allowed to set up a
>> small shell company in the US and then obtain unlimited resources from
> ARIN
>> to use in their operations elsewhere in the world?
>
> Just a reminder that the address space is a global resource. ARIN is a
> regional administrator to - facilitate - distribution, just like the other
> 4. It was not set up to act as a body that hoards everything it can get its
> hands on.
>
> Rewind the clock to ~'96 when IANA handled all distribution, and there was
> no 'this is mine' mentality. Seriously, 2 year olds in the sandbox do a
> better job of resource sharing than what we are seeing in the wind-down of
> the IPv4 pool.
>
> I still believe that the best course of action would be for the RIR holding
> the largest pool to take on the role of IANA and do a monthly/quarterly
> distribution through any RIR without the resources to meet its customer's
> needs. This avoids the problem of shell companies in all regions, and the
> associated short-term bubble staffing demands to review requests; as well as
> depleting the remaining free pool in an expeditious manner, which avoids
> absurd distortions in whatever market emerges.
>
> IPv4 is a historical artifact, get over it and move on. Arguing over
> policies intended to hoard the last remaining scraps on the bone is more the
> domain of the Condor or Jackal than civilized facilitators.
>
> Tony

Tony,

Neither David nor I support hoarding. I absolutely support returning
portions of the ARIN free pool to IANA for redistribution to other RIRs.

However, what we want to avoid primarily with this policy is RIR policy
shopping and/or efforts by members of the other RIRs to essentially
circumvent their policies by effectively transferring space into those
regions outside of the control of those RIRs.

This proposal applies to ASNs and IPv6 resources as well as IPv4.

Owen