[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-162 Redefining request window in 4.2.4.4

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Jan 30 12:01:04 EST 2012

On Jan 29, 2012, at 6:08 PM, Joe Maimon wrote:

> Owen DeLong wrote:
>> On Jan 29, 2012, at 7:45 AM, Joe Maimon wrote:
>>
>>> Why dont we all just turn on the IPv4 evil bit on an agreed upon date then?
>> Had we done that 10 years ago, that might have actually been a better idea. It certainly did a better job of facilitating the transition from NCP to TCP/IP than what we have done with the IPv4->IPv6 transition.
>
> The rationale of your proposal at its most eloquent.
>
> And my opposition.
>
> IPv4 is not a sacrificial lamb on the road to IPv6.
>
> Best,
> Joe

Of course not. Neither was NCP a sacrificial lamb on the road to IPv4.

However, IPv4 is a protocol that has been stretched well beyond its ideal life and which is inevitably becoming less and less functional as the internet continues.

Denial of that basic fact has created problems, is creating problems, and will continue to create progressively more problems until such time as our overall dependence on IPv4 is replaced with a dependence on a more scalable protocol such as IPv6.

Owen