[arin-ppml] Proposal 159 - Modification - feedback request

Heather Schiller heather.skanks at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 00:07:17 EST 2012

Proposal 159 seeks to add an additional way to justify a subsequent
IPv6 allocation.  Prop 159 would make it possible for ISP's that have
begun subnetting and allocating their IPv6 space, but who may not have
planned for enough subnets, or longer term growth, to receive an
additional allocation.   I have included our suggested modification,
the text as it currently is in NRPM, and the original prop 159 text
submitted.   The ARIN staff clarity and understanding statement
expressed concern about the original text over the potential for
abuse.  I believe this modification addresses that concern.

--Heather Schiller

Modify 6.5.3.b as follows:

An LIR may request a subsequent allocation when they can show utilization of:

75% or more of their total address space
  or
more than 90% of any serving site
  or
when 75% of the aggregate has been subnetted, and each subnet contains
atleast 1* customer or infrastructure
allocation or assignment

( *1 can be replaced here with any reasonable number)

Section 6.5.3.b as it stands today:
b. An LIR which can show utilization of 75% or more of their total
address space, or more than 90% of any serving site shall be entitled
to a subsequent allocation.

Original Prop 159 text:
NRPM section 2.16 Utilized (IPv6)
Add:

3. Tie down blocks shall be considered fully utilized, for the purpose
of subsequent allocations, when the first reassignment is made from the
tie down pool. (e.g. a /36 tie down for customer /48s will be considered
utilized for subsequent allocations once the first /48 is assigned from
the /36).