[arin-ppml] Prop-151: Limiting needs requirements for IPv4 transfers

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jan 18 11:45:35 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:22 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> Bill, you keep claiming that other RIRs have less strict policies.
> Do you have any evidence or actual policy citations to back that up?

Owen,

You can find a comparison of RIR IPv4 policies at
http://www.nro.net/rir-comparative-policy-overview/rir-comparative-policy-overview-2010-04#2

Differences in strictness are obvious even in the first section
(section 2.1). ARIN requires you to demonstrate use within 3 months.
All others allow 1 year. ARIN requires multihoming for requests
smaller than a /20. LACNIC does not. And so on.

In a few details one or two of the other RIRs come out more strict.
But, on average ARIN's policies are the strictest.

And here's a another difference described in that document: APNIC
allocates a lot of addresses to National Internet Registries. ARIN
does not; registrants hold addresses directly. What isn't clear (and
the AC has NOT researched despite the problem being pointed out) is
that an APNIC transfer policy would require the NIRs to permit
out-region transfers the way our draft policy binds ARIN. We've
already determined that transfer reciprocity is NOT required for
another RIR's policies to be found compatible for the purposes of
allowing out-region transfer of ARIN addresses.  We know this because
the President of ARIN was asked the question and he said so.

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> I don't believe for one moment that APNIC's policies or their application of
> those policies is significantly less strict than ARIN"s. If it were, APNIC would
> have consumed a much greater quantity of IPv4 address space.

It is, as a matter of simple fact, less strict. How much significance
you find in the difference is a matter of opinion. I respectfully
disagree with your opinion that the difference is not important.

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 5:36 AM, Chris Grundemann <cgrundemann at gmail.com> wrote:
> "evidence" and "facts" are pesky little buggers indeed...

They sure are.

Aloha,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004