[arin-ppml] Prop-151: Limiting needs requirements for IPv4 transfers

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Jan 17 11:25:51 EST 2012

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 1:22 PM, Alexander, Daniel
<Daniel_Alexander at cable.comcast.com> wrote:
> My impression is that the word "compatible" provides the flexibility to
> the RIR without imposing the burden of having to review every request. If
> ARIN staff observes transfer behavior in a region that is questionable, it
> could raise the issue to the AC and the BoT. I would presume that
> inter-RIR transfers could then be put on hold while an understanding of
> the situation is achieved.

Dan,

You're missing the point. It isn't a question of other RIRs behaving
badly, it's about what happens when each RIR behaves normally and
reasonably. Under 2011-1, the other RIR will apply their ordinary
policies to the recipient. If not behaving badly, they'll apply the
same policies they apply to any other recipient.

In general, those policies are less strict than ARINs. Not because of
any malfeasance but because that's how they chose to set their own
local policies. This means that an ARIN recipient will have a harder
time qualifying his network to ARIN for receipt of a particular
transfer of ARIN-region addresses than an out-region recipient to his
RIR for the same transfer.

That's unfair. Were it an ARIN-region registrant trying to transfer
addresses from another region that unfairness wouldn't be so
objectionable. But when it's an ARIN-region registrant trying to
capture ARIN-region addresses, the unfairness is manifest.

-Bill

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004