[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal -- Normalize Free pool and Transfer justification periods

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Sun Jan 15 19:55:19 EST 2012

Owen DeLong wrote:
> Template: ARIN-POLICY-PROPOSAL-TEMPLATE-2.0
>
>     1. Policy Proposal Name: Normalize Free pool and Transfer justification periods

>     8. Rationale:
>
> As a result of discussions surrounding current draft policies in last call, concern has been raised over the discrepancies in timing between free pool and transfer justification periods. This proposal seeks to normalize those justification periods to eliminate the harmful effects this is having on the transfer market.
>
>     9. Timetable for implementation: immediate
>

> END OF TEMPLATE

Opposed. Three month window is one of the few things (of many proposed)
ARIN did that resembled a sane response to an impending resource
starvation issue.

Undoing it because it is working (surprisingly well) as designed is
silly, foolish, destructive and harmful to IPv4, which apparently people
seem to still want to use.

Was it only a good idea when you thought it would not have any effect or
that it would hasten the demise of IPv4 and help push people to use
IPv6, whether they wanted to or not, whether they were ready or not?

I reject again the notion that keeps rearing its ugly head that for IPv6
to thrive we must hasten and cheer on the demise of IPv4.

Yes, I understand its seductive appeal. Short of giving it away (maybe
it is time to try that, hmm?), there is not much more we can do to
promote IPv6 adoption in the face of near market indifference.

Proper stewardship of IPv4 for the community of those who still seem to
want to use it (everyone) should never involve telling the community
that they will use and like ipv6, like it or not, ready or not.

That is the antithesis of bottom up.

As for the other regions, grasshopper, ants.

Joe