[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-11 and ARIN-2011-12 - Last Call

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Fri Jan 13 17:57:56 EST 2012

On 1/12/2012 11:28 PM, Michael Sinatra wrote:
> On 01/12/12 20:45, William Herrin wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 10:51 PM, Chris Grundemann
>> <cgrundemann at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> +1, 2011-11 has nothing at all to do with the 3-month limit on the
>>> free pool. It removes slow start for transfers.
>>
>> https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2011_11.html
>>
>> "Rationale:
>>
>> An organization which is not able to obtain its initial IPv4 address
>> assignment from ARIN post-runout would otherwise be limited to
>> purchasing only a 3-month supply (because the language in 4.2.4.4
>> regarding 8.3 transfers is not triggered)."
>
> As Chris pointed out, that's slow-start.  The 3-month slow-start
> requirement has always been around.  You specifically called out the
> 3-month need period that was based on "folks dipping into a nearly
> empty 'free' pool," which I could only reasonably interpret as being
> the portion of 4.2.4.4 that kicks in after the IANA free pool
> exhaustion, which does NOT apply to 8.3 transfers.
>
> But that's not really relevant.  2011-11 aside (and I don't really
> support it, but I am more concerned about 2011-12), 2011-12 increases
> the current distortions in the IPv4 market and creates undesirable
> incentives.  I oppose it, and would only support a similar policy if
> it were tied to free pool liberalization.

I proposed the original text for 2011-12. I would *also* like to see the
free pool liberalized, but the "sky-is-falling protect-the-supply" crowd
is much more opposed to that than transfers, so I figured we'd just do
one at a time.

And, frankly, I thought that by the time 2011-12 passed we'd actually be
a lot closer to runout, so it wouldn't matter anyway.

Matthew Kaufman