[arin-ppml] Prop-151: Limiting needs requirements for IPv4 transfers

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jan 13 12:11:00 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 3:12 AM, Alexander, Daniel
<Daniel_Alexander at cable.comcast.com> wrote:
> Do people think it is possible to consolidate the discussion of prop-151,
> and 2011-1 to achieve a productive end result?
>
> Add Section 8.4 Inter-RIR Transfers to Specified Recipients
>
> Conditions on recipient of the transfer:
>
> * The conditions on a recipient outside of the ARIN region will be defined
> by the policies of the receiving RIR.
> * Recipients within the ARIN region will be subject to current ARIN
> policies and sign an RSA for the resources being received.
> * Recipients within the ARIN region must demonstrate the need for up to a
> 12 month supply of IPv4 address space.
> * The minimum transfer size is a /24

Hi Dan,

I think linchpin of the problem stems from the "destination RIR sets
the rules" approach. The RIRs are not the same. ARIN has one of the
strictest set of requirements on address recipients. With ARIN and
outregion users bidding in the same pool of sellers, this places
ARIN-region registrants at a distinct disadvantage.

In order to keep "destination RIR sets the rules" without harming
every would-be registrant in the ARIN region, the draft would need to
do one of two things:

1. Make the "compatible policy" requirements stricter: destination RIR
must have needs based policies of at least comparable strictness
versus ARIN.

2. Race to the bottom: remove all but the most minimal requirements on
an ARIN region recipient. Assume that the cash payment will be
sufficient to assure efficient utilization.

#1 is a terrible idea. If we want to set recipient policy globally, we
should do it globally. Not by setting local policy which pressures
another RIR to do things our way.

#2 is not the worst idea in the world but IMHO it's very premature.

So, we don't do #1 or #2. And we don't knowingly harm ARIN-region
recipients. Thus we can't reasonably use "destination RIR sets the
rules." QED.

ARIN, as the source RIR, will have to set at least enough rules on the
out-region recipient to avoid harmfully disadvantaging ARIN
constituents.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004