[arin-ppml] 2011-1 not adopted Was:Re: Board Adopts Draft Policies

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jan 13 01:34:56 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 12:40 AM, Paul Vixie <paul at redbarn.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 00:23:58 -0500
> William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> Three, possibly four AC members explain their views to the PPML on
>> many or most drafts. The rest show up (mostly), vote and hide their
>> own opinions behind the anonymous "we" published by the group.
>
> quite a bit of "collegiality" can look to outsiders like "solidarity"
> but is not necessarily that.

Hi Paul,

That may be the first time I've heard "collegial silence" cast in a
positive light. Usually it's referred to as the "wall of silence" or
the "stone wall."

>> Is that transparent? Does it allow non-AC draft authors to anticipate
>> and address concerns a particular AC member is likely to have?
>
> operatively, if an AC member is not influencing outcomes in any way
> then they are probably a net loss

Too true. But that doesn't answer the question, does it?

>> I don't happen to see transparency at the root of ARIN's problems but
>> there is surely room for improvement.
>
> can you explore out loud the parts of the AC's job you think should be
> conducted (for transparency's sake) in full public view vs. those not?

I personally like the part where Scott Leibrand stands up after most
AC meetings and says, "These were the most telling factors for me in
each of the drafts we considered and that's why I voted as I did." If
I was king for a day, his voice wouldn't be a lonely one.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004