[arin-ppml] Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2011-1

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Jan 13 00:28:47 EST 2012

On Jan 12, 2012, at 8:41 PM, William Herrin wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 10:02 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>> On Jan 12, 2012, at 2:09 PM, William Herrin wrote:
>>> Following the end of the bulk of the debate over draft 2011-1 on or
>>> about November 7, 9 people offered statements of opposition while only
>>> 8 offered statements of support. I know of no definition of consensus
>>> in which the simple majority of respondents can be opposed.
>>
>> Yourself excluded, the comments of opposition predominantly noted concern
>> about the extent of edits that occurred after the Public Policy Meeting as
>> compared to raising about the actual revised draft policy.
>
> John,
>
> Your statement to the board was that the revised policy draft, "may go
> beyond the scope of what many in the community expected." "Many," not
> "some" or "a few" or "Bill Herrin." You were right then. Don't change
> the story now.

Bill -

  I indicated to the Board that the 2011-1 rewrite "may go beyond the
  scope of what many in the community expected of ‘last call revisions’"
  This was not an indication of degrees of support by the community or
  of non-support, but a statement regarding potential concerns about
  the process that was followed. I further noted that the "resulting
  (draft policy) does not appear different in function and the rewrite
  was allowable per the PDP"

  You did an excellent job expressing your concerns today about the draft
  policy (resources going outside the ARIN region according to number
  policy not developed by the ARIN community & lack of a requirement for
  reciprocal transfer policies.)  If there are other concerns about the
  draft policy, it would be good to get them posted to PPML.  I do not
  know if either of the concerns you noted were considered by the ARIN AC
  or were somehow introduced as a result of the last call revisions, but
  I expect that the Board will want to know that substantially any material
  concerns raised by the community have been considered by the ARIN AC in
  their recommendation for adoption.

FYI,
/John

John Curran