[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-11 and ARIN-2011-12 - Last Call

Michael Sinatra michael+ppml at burnttofu.net
Thu Jan 12 20:11:22 EST 2012

On 01/12/12 14:35, William Herrin wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 6:16 PM, David Farmer<farmer at umn.edu>  wrote:
>> There are still two days left in the formal last call period for
>> ARIN-2011-11 and ARIN-2011-12.  If you have any feedback for the AC
>> regarding these two Draft Policies please get it in soon.

> The 3-month "need" period is based on folks dipping in to a nearly
> empty "free" pool. Transfers are not "free." I'd hate to see a nascent
> transfer market choked by a rule that wasn't meant for it.
>
> Please consider this a statement of SUPPORT for both proposals.

The 3-month need only applies to the ARIN free pool, not to 8.3
transfers, as NRPM Section 4.2.4.4 notes.  8.3 transfers already get a
12-month need window.

The difference in the two need windows further distorts the market for
IP addresses, unnecessarily inflating transfer market prices.  It also
prolongs the pathological situation where ARIN has a large free pool
relative to other regions, presents the impression (wrongly, I agree)
that ARIN is hoarding IP resources, and it places unnecessary burdens on
ISPs attempting to legitimately get IP address space.  Any concern that
the ARIN pool would be raided by out-of-region entities is both a
product of the current situation that shouldn't be prolonged and
something which can be mitigated by placing time limits on transfers of
recently-acquired address space.

The free pool should match the transfer pool, and the free pool need
should be liberalized, rather than the transfer pool being made more
strict.  As long as there are free addresses, ARIN should not attempt to
protect them by giving incentives to use the transfer market and
disincentives to come to ARIN for IPv4 resources.

Until there is an effort to normalize the free pool and transfer
policies, I can't support 2011-12, which would only increase the current
distortions.

michael