[arin-ppml] 2011-7 Status FAIL

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Feb 28 20:21:39 EST 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Chris Grundemann <cgrundemann at gmail.com> wrote:
> FYI: The intent of adding the reverse DNS hook was twofold. First, as
> you very correctly observe, it should help grab attention when needed
> as an intermediate step before revoking resources, kind of a last
> chance mechanism. The other intent is to grab attention when
> revocation is too extreme, such as a failure to register downstream
> delegations in WHOIS. As a community, we have identified time and
> again the need for an accurate WHOIS. This "penny ante" mechanism may
> help ARIN to ensure that the WHOIS database is as accurate and
> complete as possible.

Hi Chris,

I can't think of a single hypothetical case in which revocation is too
extreme but canceling RDNS is an appropriate punishment.

WHOIS isn't up to snuff? Not taking ARIN's complaints seriously? Issue
a revocation with the policy 6-months to renumber out of the block. If
WHOIS magically improves and they pay ARIN's auditing costs so that
the rest of us don't get burned by the bad behavior, then clearly
there's no further need to complete the revocation.

I'm okay with RDNS revocation as a last ditch "we couldn't get in
touch with you any other way" measure, but that use isn't punitive. As
a punitive measure, RDNS revocation is, frankly, beneath ARIN's
dignity.

Regards,
Bill

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004