[arin-ppml] 2011-7 Status FAIL

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Feb 28 18:03:11 EST 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 8:46 AM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
>> Personally, I continue to be skeptical of the idea of using DNS as a lever
>> for compliance regarding documentation of reassignments.
>
> With respect to the DNS issue, this would not be the first time that
> there have been objections.

Hy Martin,

Strike the following and I think I'd be more or less satisfied with the draft:

If progress of
resource returns or record corrections has not occurred within sixty
(60) days after ARIN initiated contact, ARIN shall cease providing
reverse DNS services for the resources in question. ARIN shall negotiate
a longer term with the organization if ARIN believes the organization is
working in good faith to restore compliance and has a valid need for
additional time.

Here's my reasoning: stopping reverse DNS is *really* penny ante. The
first use in 12.5 is potentially reasonable: a last ditch effort to
get in touch with an uncommunicative registrant before revoking the
resources. Beyond that, its punitive and unhelpful. ARIN doesn't need
to prove that it's really truly serious. Either revoke the resources
for cause or don't.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004