[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-165 Eliminate Needs-Based Justification

Astrodog astrodog at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 16:10:42 EST 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Kevin Kargel <kkargel at polartel.com> wrote:
> Matthew,
> Once again we are entering into a round of discussion where people are
> forgetting where the "legacy" spaceholders came from.  They were on the spot
> as the internet was getting started and they were the ones that jumped in
> with time and people and resources to develop and experiment and get things
> working.  The internet we have today is precisely because of all the good
> work of the "legacy" spaceholders.
>
> When they were granted their space it was given to them at a time when there
> was space in abundance, and nobody was worried about how much space anybody
> had.  They were granted rights to their space without limit or restriction.
>
> Now that space is becoming at all valuable the vultures are circling and
> forgetting the origins of what we have.  The common refrain is "What have
> you done for me lately" of "I want a free piece of the pie and I don't want
> to have to work for it".
>
> We all still owe the "legacy" holders a debt of gratitude and all of this
> nipping at their heels late in the game is rather sad. The whole "What have
> you done for me lately" philosophy does none of us any credit.
>
> And no, I am not a legacy holder nor do I have any affiliations with a
> legacy holder.  I do admire and respect all of the good works done by these
> pioneers of the internet.
>
> Turning the IP space in to a free for all without restrictions or controls
> is a really bad idea, unless one's only concern is just to turn a quick buck
> while one can and one has no concern for the future.  If that's what we want
> to do then lets just divvy up what's left as one recent proposal suggested
> and be done with it.  If we remove all need requirements then I hereby
> request all the space that's left. Finding the finances to do it would not
> be a problem.
>
> OK, I'll step down off my soap box again and let you all have at it.

I'm finding myself in an odd position.... I agree with both of you. I
agree that needs-based justification makes sense for "new" allocations
from ARIN. Something should be in place to prevent exactly the
situation you describe: "I'll take whatever you've got left.".
Inter-registrant transfers, on the other hand, make less sense to me.
The "unfair market" problem Matthew outlined applies, plus there's a
whole other set of issues surrounding a company "delegating" IPs,
issues with failed sales, etc.

I think it is important to examine the two sets of circumstances
separately. There is a significant difference in how they function.
Inter-registrant transfers will, in the end, always be limited by
price and risk, while "new" allocations are not.

--- Harrison