[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-165 Eliminate Needs-Based Justification

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Mon Feb 27 14:32:21 EST 2012

On Feb 27, 2012, at 9:40 AM, Matthew Petach wrote:
> There's nothing unfair in the right; what is unfair is that the
> rights are not being applied equally to everyone within the
> ARIN purview.  I'm advocating that we either apply the rules
> equally to *everyone*, or apply them to no-one.  The current
> "have" and "have-not" scenario is a ludicrous parody of
> medieval fiefdoms.

Can you be specific about how you see the rules not being fairly applied? Do you see ARIN giving new blocks to some segment of its clients by a different criteria than it provides new blocks to others?  Please be specific.

I am only asking because all of your commentary to date has to do with providers who already have large blocks, and that's not the business that ARIN's membership has asked it to perform.  I have seen and supported numerous proposals for ARIN to review and audit existing allocations for compliance, and these proposals have always failed.  Thus ARIN has been explicitly told by its members that it is not a policing body.  Therefore it can only apply these policies when handing out *new* allocations. (be they transferred blocks or not)

If I am reading your complain correctly, it would appear that your main complaint has nothing to do with this transfer policy and everything to do with the old and much-argued complaint about historical allocations.  If so, I would argue that none of your concerns are made any better or worse by the proposed transfer policy, and that your concerns should be addressed by a new policy that very explicitly addresses review of historical allocations.  For what it is worth, I would totally support this policy however I suspect ARIN doesn't have the legal authority on which to enforce this.  And, as past discussion has proven, this would be extremely unpopular.

--
Jo Rhett