[arin-ppml] Fwd: ARIN-prop-165 Eliminate Needs-Based Justification

Tom Vest tvest at eyeconomics.com
Sat Feb 25 14:39:44 EST 2012

Point of clarification below:

On Feb 24, 2012, at 3:50 PM, Tom Vest wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> One day that might not be true, but when (or whether) that day might come is anyone's guess. You may be right that there is "consensus around the fact that long term, IPv4 allocations are likely to have little to no value," but if so that consensus is overwhelmingly among individuals that work for institutions that (a) have to-date put little if anything at risk to hasten that outcome, and (b) simply by virtue of their possession of IPv4 could have quite a lot to gain if the consensus prediction turns out to be wrong. Obviously there are some exceptions, e.g., networks that have literally bet the farm on IPv6, but they represent a tiny minority among those holding the "consensus" view.
>>>
>>> Note that I'm not suggesting that people are misrepresenting their actual beliefs, but it's a lot easier to have strong opinions about future unknowns when being wrong is a (privately) cost-free option. Like I said, I do hope that the consensus is right, but caveat emptor is always good advice.
>>>
>>> 3. Given the fact that, by itself, a strategy of "IPv4 hoarding" seems unlikely pay off in the near future, and might never become an effective means of *establishing* market power (i.e., except under relatively improbable circumstances/scenarios, for the perennially modest market segment of aspiring new entrants), but arguably has already/repeatedly proven to be quite effective as a strategy for *enhancing* market power under certain conditions (e.g., during the preRIR/early RIR era, in regions/bargaining situations where BYO addressing is unacceptable, etc.), one should assume that any shift toward strategic "IPv4 hoarding" would probably start -- and if left unchecked, end -- with the kind of entities that already control some other critical bottleneck(s) to Internet service delivery, as described in [1] above.
>>
>> Thanks for the explanation.
>>
>> Those are definitely significant concerns, but I'm not sure how needs
>> testing addresses them.
>
> On this point I am inclined to (reluctantly) agree.
> Assuming very very generously that I got everything right in the predictive model described above, continued needs testing ala current practice might slow the inexorable, but probably not all that much (esp. in relative terms, since the ultimate result would be a market in which IPv4 conferred the same sort of status that land conferred upon its owners during the century or two after land first became "alienable" but land ownership still remained an appx. universal bottleneck input to the accumulation of personal wealth and/or the achievement of social/political non-nonperson status).

Addendum: Even if one agrees with me that at strategy of "IPv4 hoarding" would be unlikely to pay off for a "pure speculator" (i.e., an entity that could not satisfy any form of needs-based justification requirement) in the near term -- or rather, that it would be *relatively less likely* to pay off for them, as opposed to an entity that might be able to satisfy some kinds of needs nests -- that does NOT imply ANY of the following:

-- that all "pure speculators" are by definition motivated solely by short-term payoffs; with "safe" economy interest rates parked at +/- 0.00% indefinitely, demand for everything else flat, and octillions of idled $€円 just waiting patiently for the next attractor to appear, any such assumption would be foolish;

-- that "pure speculators" would be necessarily be interested in or obliged to participate in the actual "IPv4 hoarding" themselves;

-- that "pure speculators" should be incentivized to put any of this to the test, e.g., by dropping the justification requirement altogether.

Short version: when/if these messages are tallied for informational purposes, please add this one to the "opposed" column.

TV