[arin-ppml] Advisory Council Meeting Results - February 2012

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 09:05:36 EST 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 11:47 PM, Joe Maimon <jmaimon at chl.com> wrote:

> ARIN wrote:
>>

>> Regarding proposal 163, the AC stated, "Based on a lack of significant
>> support or extenuating circumstances that would require the creation of
>> a specially designated class of v4 address space within the ARIN region,
>> the AC chose to abandon proposal 163. Without a compelling inequity
>> present, it's difficult to make a case for carve-outs of any kind other
>> than for critical infrastructure. The community has underscored this
>> with significant expressions of support for fewer v4 initiatives and
>> more focus on transition."
>

> To the drafter of this language, and to those who affirmed it.

I was the primary author, the AC participated in its editing and then
voted on it.

> To the AC as the unified body we have been told to consider it as.
>
> You have outstripped your mandate, again. Your reasoning and conclusions are
> convoluted, arbitrary and fabricated, biased in support of your own
> opinions, desires and agendas.
>
> You are ignoring the existence of THREE "specially designated class of v4
> addresses", current and pending, lobbied hard for by members AC.

Not. I agree, the /10 for cable operators should have never been set
aside so you can't really lump everyone into that fur ball. I wrote
the carve out for CI and that's temporary.  Because we are failing to
transition, we still need to be able to move the traffic to the
benefit of all. Compelling. The carve out you proposed is effectively
an infrastructure subsidy that would only further drag transition. Not
compelling.

[ clip ]

> You have arbitrarily decided that the community is not interested in "v4
> initiatives", unless of course, its a policy advanced by a member of the in
> club - or a policy designed to deplete IPv4 quicker.

There was a table topic at the PHL meeting about this and it was
unanimous that ARIN should not be working on v4 policy or as little as
practical. I've also heard that consistently at the mic and on the
list. I think that's right.

[ clip ]

Best,

-M<