[arin-ppml] ARIN as a public interest business

David Gibbons dave at goflashpoint.com
Thu Feb 23 07:47:18 EST 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM, mike <mike at willitsonline.com> wrote:

>        I am a small ISP and a small business that has 4 employees and
> under $1m/yr revenue. I depend on my ARIN as/ip assignments because my
> business model demands the technical features that only being an AS with PI
> IPv4 space can provide. I am very unhappy however with the price I pay
> yearly to ARIN, which operates apparently in a vacuum and in complete
> ignorance of fiscal responsibility, witness the squandering of it's funds
> which then have to come out of my pocket. I work my tail off for every
> dollar I make and every time I send a check to ARIN it makes my blood boil
> knowing how you spend it.

I couldn't agree more about the refrigerator magnets, paper mail, etc. I
was literally speechless when we received the package from ARIN that
probably cost $10 to mail containing stamped pens, etc. They're a total
waste.

However -- are you really complaining about the roughly $2k a year that
your (apparently only) /20 costs you? Maybe $1k more for an ASN? My company
is about the same size as yours and in the same type of industry. The ARIN
fees are extremely reasonable. This line item is so small -- even in the
budget of a small business -- that this discussion has probably cost us all
more in collective time than a yearly allocation fee. Give me a break.

You make some valid points, I just don't think the fees justify the
discussion.

Cheers,
Dave

--