[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-165 Eliminate Needs-Based Justification on8.3 Specified Transfers

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Feb 21 16:47:10 EST 2012

On Feb 21, 2012, at 4:35 PM, Matthew Petach wrote:

> Can you explain how multiple parties can share rights to the same
> address block?  IE, how can a seller sell rights to a block and yet
> have the community *also* own rights to the same block?

Certainly: recognize that they are different rights... The address holder
has the right to be the exclusive registrant, to transfer in accordance
with policy, etc.  The community has other rights, such as visibility into
the public portions of these registrations.  We've tried to be much more
explicit in the latest registration services agreements to specify the
rights involved.

Note that this is not much different that various rights that one may have to
a piece of software; the right to use it and have it registered to you does not
imply ownership of the underlying software, even if you can transfer your rights
to another party for money.

> Is there an order of operations, or a set of precedence rules that
> establish when the purchaser's rights are paramount, and when they
> are subjugated to the rights of the community?

The community developed policies govern how these rights interact;
ARIN operates the registry and related services in accordance with
these policies.

Hope this helps,
/John

John Curran