[arin-ppml] Prop-151: Clarifying requirements for IPv4 transfers (was "Limiting needs...")

Chris Grundemann cgrundemann at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 15:17:45 EST 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 13:10, Jeffrey Lyon <jeffrey.lyon at blacklotus.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Chris Grundemann <cgrundemann at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 09:42, Alexander, Daniel
>> <Daniel_Alexander at cable.comcast.com> wrote:

>>> Another change that has been suggested is to include transfers in the 12
>>> month restrictions on the source of a transfer. The resulting text would
>>> read as follows.
>>>
>>> "The source entity must not have received a transfer, allocation, or
>>> assignment of IPv4 number resources from ARIN for the 12 months prior to
>>> the approval of a transfer request."
>>>
>>> The intent of this change would be to limit an organization from
>>> "flipping" transferred resources. Do people feel that this should be
>>> incorporated into the text?
>>
>> This inclusion is absolutely mandatory to maintaining a needs-based
>> system. As such, the question should be reversed: "Is there any reason
>> to exclude transfers, when allocations and assignments are counted?"

> That inclusion also permits organizations that require additional
> space from obtaining it, which I would oppose.

Hi Jeff,

I think there may be some confusion. The restriction we are discussing
here is on the _source_ of transfers, not the recipient. What this
requirement actually does is to restrict organizations from "selling"
space which they recently (within the previous 12 months) obtained. It
does NOT stop organizations from receiving more space if they have
need.

HTH,
~Chris

--