[arin-ppml] what about 36 months?

Michael Sinatra michael+ppml at burnttofu.net
Sat Feb 18 19:21:56 EST 2012

If the goal of the eliminate-needs-policy is to allow the market do
efficiently allocate number resources while preventing predatory
behavior, what kind of effect do we think moving to a 36 month window
for 8.3 transfers would have?

It might make it easy to justify need.  It seems like someone with
legitimate use for IPv4 resources could easily justify whatever then can
afford, if the window size is 36 months.  On the other hand, it should
be pretty easy to sniff out a speculator--someone who has zero
customers, zero internet products and 5 employees and wants to buy a
/14, claiming their business will radically change in the next 3 years.

I don't know how quickly we want to move to 36 months, given that we
just went to 24.  And I am not advocating any particular policy at this
point, just asking a question of the community.

thanks,
michael