[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-165 Eliminate Needs-Based Justification

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Feb 18 00:07:55 EST 2012

On Feb 17, 2012, at 7:49 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> Hey, great idea, let’s abolish futures markets for cotton, oil, wheat and soybeans as well. That’ll “serve the community.” Shortages are actually good for you.
>

> If this policy is adopted, it would enable speculative brokers who wanted to to maintain inventory without showing need for the addresses. It would potentially turn IP addresses into a commodities futures market which I do not believe would serve the community well.

Futures markets in products which are produced are very different from futures markets in items of finite quantity.

While oil has a theoretically finite quantity, in reality, advancements of technology have consistently created an effect that is roughly equivalent to production in market terms. All of your other examples are literally products which are produced.

The presence of a futures market in IPv4 addresses would do nothing to prevent or reduce the coming shortage. It would merely increase cost.

Owen