[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-157 Section 8.3 Simplification

Joe St Sauver joe at oregon.uoregon.edu
Fri Feb 10 17:57:01 EST 2012

Scott mentioned:

#As the primary AC shepherd on this proposal, I'd like to propose
#modifying ARIN-prop-157 as follows:
#
#Title: ASN transfers
#Policy statement:
#In NRPM 8.3, replace "IPv4 number resources" with "IPv4 number
#resources and ASNs".
#Rationale:
#There are legitimate use cases for transferring ASNs, and no
#significant downsides (identified to date) of allowing it.
#
#In my personal opinion, that would preserve the essential feature of
#the policy that has shown some support on PPML, while alleviating most
#of the concerns.
#
#Thoughts?

In some cases ASNs are used to help map lists of IP addresses to relevant
networks/network operators. (For example, you might have a list of ten
thousand botted hosts, and you want to map/sort all of those to the
associated origin ASN)

If it is easy for the community to get a merged list of ASNs and associated
ASNames or Orgnames to use for that sort of purpose, I'd be fine with the
modified proposal. Alternatively, or additionally, it would be terrific if
at least a list of all transferred ASNs (sorted by date of transfer) could be
maintained and made available.

Lacking that, my concern is that I could easily see many manually
constructed and locally maintained AS number to ASName (or AS number to
Orgname) mapping files gradually getting out of sync over time, which I
think would be undesirable/lead to inaccuracies.

Thanks for considering this feedback,

Regards,

Joe St Sauver (joe at oregon.uoregon.edu)
http://pages.uoregon.edu/joe/