[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-164 Predictable ARIN IPv4 Resource exhaustion

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Thu Feb 2 16:03:20 EST 2012

Jeffrey Lyon wrote:

> Joe,
>
> I must disagree that IPv4 needs to be cannibalized. Encourage IPv6
> adoption, and this will happen as IPv4 becomes naturally more scarce
> and vendors ramp up support for v6.

Jeffrey,

While I agree with you, however I view this proposals outcome as an
improvement over an outcome that sees the free pool drained in the same
manner and same speed as had been done prior to the three month policy
taking effect.

In both scenarios the free pool is likely gone in a matter of (6-18)
months, not (2-4) years, as is currently (re)projected for ARIN.

I had expected to garner support from those who have voiced opinions in
that very fashion, that ipv4 must make way for ipv6, the sooner the
better, even if they are not my own.

I dont know why they have been so strangely silent at this turn. Is the
proposal just too blatant?

Best,

Joe