[arin-ppml] REVISED: Draft Policy ARIN-2012-8: Aligning 8.2 and 8.3 Transfer Policy

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Dec 10 23:41:19 EST 2012

On Dec 11, 2012, at 7:42 AM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:
>> No objections here.  As far as I can tell the only substantive change (other
>> than codifying existing practice) is the requirement that "The new entity
>> must sign an RSA covering all transferred resources."  That seems like a
>> (minor) improvement in policy.
>
> Is there any concern from the community regarding the word "an" in
>
>   ... must sign *an* RSA ...
>
> While any RSA is better than none, I seem to recall a similar
> wording was interpreted by ARIN in a way that caused some
> members of the community some consternation (i.e. it allowed
> a Legacy RSA).

To be clear, the terms and conditions of the LRSA and RSA are now materially
the same, except for the reference to the fee schedule contained in each.  If
there are implications for the policy because of the difference in fees made
available to legacy address holders via the LRSA, it is worth discussing here,
but note that it will ultimately be a matter for the ARIN Board of Trustees
(which has responsibility for establishing the fees and services for ARIN)

ARIN has had situations where it was deemed reasonable to proceed with an LRSA
rather than the standard RSA for the recipient, due to the resources in question
being issued before ARIN's formation and subject to bankruptcy court order.  This
was before the extensive outreach with respect to transfers, and while is unlikely
to recur, to preclude an LRSA could ultimately be very costly to ARIN if such
were to happen and we had to engage solely to correct this aspect of an order.

I hope this information is helpful to the community in further consideration
of the draft policy.

FYI,
/John

John Curran