[arin-ppml] Leasing (was: Re: IPv4 Update)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Aug 22 21:54:04 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 9:18 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>    Organizations receiving IP address space (as the recipient of a transfer
> or
>    via allocations of IP address space from the free pool) as an ISP must
> meet
>    the LIR definition (per NRPM 2.4) and that means "primarily assigning
> address
>    space to the users of the network services that it provides."   End-users
>    receiving transfers or assignments of IP address space from the free pool
>    must meet the End-user definition (per NRPM 2.6) during their request
> which
>    requires they be receiving space to be used "exclusively for use in its
>    operational networks."
>
>    Ergo, the "leasing" of recently received space could reasonably raise
>    concern about whether the request to ARIN for that space was made with
>    full sincerity, and organizations would be advised not to request to
> receive
>    IP address from the free pool or as the recipient of a transfer if their
> intent
>    is to "lease" the space rather then use it for their network service
> customers
>    (if an ISP) or use it for their own network (if they applied as an
> end-user.)

That's easily evaded. I can "lease" minimal-documentation /24's all
day for $100/month. My price includes a 64kbps VPN over which you're
expected to maintain a BGP session. More if you want a full route
feed, a VPN that's more than a placeholder or a non-private AS number.
You also must provide me with a copy of the contract for your "main"
ISP for my records. And you have to sign a paper agreeing I'm the only
ISP that's assigned you a /24. Not my fault if you lie to me, and
using a private AS number how would I ever know?

Need to do about 256 of them at that price to break even after
considering manpower costs. Everything beyond that is 90% gravy. And
hey look, I'm efficiently utilized. /24's to documented multihomed
customers and negligible networking overhead to mess me up when I ask
for more.

NRPM 4.2.3.6. "This policy allows a downstream customer's multihoming
requirement to serve as justification for a /24 reassignment from
their upstream ISP, regardless of host requirements."

When I'm ready to cash out, $2500 per /24 to sell them outright when
they only cost me about $15 from ARIN sounds grand.

There's still a /16 or two left in the free pool, right?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004