[arin-ppml] New Policy Proposal

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Aug 20 12:29:11 EDT 2012

On 8/17/12 10:05 CDT, Kevin Kargel wrote:
> {SNIP}
>>> I would write:
>>>
>>> "The ISP _MUST NOT_ have control of how the layer-3 network
>>> infrastructure is subdivided, a regulated infrastructure
>>> provider must be in control of that to qualify for the /29
>>> exclusion."
>>>
>>> (lots of ISPs buy infrastructure from third parties that tell
>>> them how it will be provisioned)
>>>

>> I understand your concern, but, all providers are "regulated", so this
>> would be a technical no-op.
>>
>> How about:
>>
>> "The ISP must not own or control the equipment and/or provisioning
>> design of the layer-3 network infrastructure and must be obtaining
>> that from a separate infrastructure provider in a manner similar to
>> "unbundled elements"."
> [kjk]
> [kjk] I pretty much agree with this but I have no idea how it would be
> policed or enforced.

I think I like Owen's language better than what I suggested originally.

As to your enforcement question Kevin, I think that it is only
enforceable at the time of allocation like most policies.  Also, from
what I hear, ARIN staff understands the situation fairly well, but
doesn't have an applicable policy that works for the situation.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952