[arin-ppml] New Policy Proposal

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Aug 16 14:38:44 EDT 2012

On 8/16/12 13:11 CDT, Owen DeLong wrote:
> Would it be feasible for the policy to mandate that:
>
> 	ISP must show that all blocks larger than /29 are at least 50% utilized
> 	or must reprovision under-utilized blocks to accommodate growth first?
>
> I think if we were to add this protection to the policy, it would be more than
> adequate to address the concerns expressed about "land grabs".

I like this idea, the only additional restriction I would include is
that to qualify for this;

The ISP _MUST NOT_ have control of how the network infrastructure is
subdivided, a third party infrastructure provider must be in control of
that to qualify for the /29 exclusion.

> Would it be feasible for the TPIA operators, or, does it present a problem that
> I am not understanding?

Good question.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952