[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-180 ISP Private Reassignment

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Aug 9 16:10:18 EDT 2012

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012, Chu, Yi [NTK] wrote:

> I do think your question is valid.  However, as ISP, it is not at our
> discretion to get into our customers' business.  They gave their
> justification, based on their sense of security (or whatever it is).
> In this case, based on current ARIN policy, we can't grant their
> request.  That was my response to them in this case.

I've been in the ISP business 18 years and have only encountered this sort
of situation ("customer" wanting or requiring that their IPs not be
SWIP'd) twice.  One was a customer request, the other a gov requirement.
I think this is an unusual enough request that you should be able to
handle it on a case by infrequent case basis internally without need for a
public policy.  Just label the space as internally used or fail to SWIP
it.  The percentage of your space likely to fall into such a category
should be small enough as to not matter for future reassignment
justifications (if there are any), and if necessary, you can probably give
the assignment info to ARIN under NDA.

> However, when I thought about it further, it does seem reasonable for a
> customer to make such a request.  There are many legitimate reasons not
> wanting their company names to be publically associated with the IP
> addresses.

Unfortunately, there are also many illegitimate reasons for customers to
want to hide their IPs / not be associated with them, and some providers
would be all too happy to accomodate them, especially if public
reassignment registration (SWIP or rwhois) effectively became entirely
optional.

> I do not believe ISP would indiscriminately register all reassignments
> as private,

Some certainly would.

In case it's not abundantly clear, I'm opposed to their proposal.