[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-180 ISP Private Reassignment

Patrick Klos patrick at klos.com
Thu Aug 9 15:09:29 EDT 2012

ARIN wrote:
>    8. Rationale:
>                 Some ISP's customers wish to keep their reassignment
> private.  This can be for security reasons.  It can also be that the
> customer does not have the staff or know-how to manage their network.
> They in term outsource the management of their network to the upstream
> ISP.  By not having their reassignemnt record showing in public, the
> whois record of the parent ISP block is a truer representation of the
> reality.  It make shte whois database more accurate and cleaner.

Opposed.  I have yet to hear a reasonable explanation of how a public
WHOIS record can become a security risk?  If the customer is outsourcing
various ARIN roles listed in the WHOIS record, then listing the company
that is handling such roles is appropriate for the specific roles they
are handling.

Patrick