[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-180 ISP Private Reassignment

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Aug 9 11:49:40 EDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 11:32 AM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> ARIN-prop-180  ISP Private Reassignment
>
>    7. Policy statement:
>                 NRPM 4.2.3.7.1.1 and 6.5.5.1.1 ISP private reassignment
>                 ISP has the option to register a reassignment as private.  A
> private reassignment is not visible on the public whois database.  Private
> reassignment is used in calculation of ISP utilization.  By register a
> reassignment as private, the ISP takes responsibility as POC by means of the
> direct allocation (parent of the reassigned address block) from ARIN that is
> publically registered in the whois database.

Opposed. This has the effect of removing all public accountability for
the ARIN-region consumers of IP addresses. It makes our reliance on
ARIN absolute and, without public scrutiny, the community is placed in
a position where it will have to demand ARIN engage in much more
expensive auditing practices to assure ISPs with private whois entries
are not cheating.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004