[arin-ppml] IP Address Policy

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 19:46:56 EDT 2012

On 8/8/12, Steven Ryerse <SRyerse at eclipse-networks.com> wrote:
> with BGP.  I believe that the minimum for this is a /22 block and
> coincidentally that is what we need for the next year or so to run our data
> center.  So far so good.  From reading the constant posts to this community

The minimum is /24, but if you consider it necessary that you avoid
renumbering, you should obtain the /23 from an upstream provider,  and
retain that upstream provider under long-term contract for such time
as you wish to avoid renumbering.

IPv4 resource policy is not that you get a 12 month supply of IPv4
addresses to  run your datacenter for a year.  If you actually had
immediate requirement to fully utilize an entire /22
within 30 days,  the immediate need policy 4.2.1.6  could apply.

But you said you were expecting to coincidentally require just that
much over the course of a year,  which is a much longer duration than
the supply of addresses you are supposed to be able to get through
free pool allocations from ARIN.

If you can provide the needs justification, and you can find someone
with an existing allocation  to transfer resources under 8.3
specified transfer,  that would be allowed under current policy

--
-JH