[arin-ppml] private whois record

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Aug 7 17:33:10 EDT 2012

On Aug 7, 2012, at 1:01 PM, Kevin Kargel <kkargel at polartel.com> wrote:

> I see no great problem with private registration so long as there are active
> authoritative contacts that can actually do something should a network or
> abuse issue occur.  Having an abuse or NOC contact point to someone who can
> call someone who knows who to call is unacceptable.  We need to be able to
> reach a network administrator directly.
>
> Having said that, if you are operating on the public network and wish to
> keep your contact information private then something just doesn't jive.  I
> do strongly support transparency.  If you don't want to disclose any
> information the solution is simple, don't transact on public networks.

For reference sake, there are already ways for organizations to prevent
their identity for being readily obtaining online (this often involves
companies becoming part of other holding companies), and we know this is
done from time to time.  For example, you might find the IP address block
for the local domestic abuse shelter is actually registered to a legal
owner which is not even in the same state (but is responsive when contacted
via the POC information.)

I'm not suggesting that this is a general scalable solution for companies
which wish to be private, only pointing out that there are viable options
today, used by those who have to be hidden.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO