[arin-ppml] private whois record

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Tue Aug 7 14:12:19 EDT 2012

[kjk] How does that help us when an email process or an Ethernet interface
runs amok and my servers are in a DoS condition because of traffic from your
network?  Is my only solution to block all traffic from your entire netblock
and wait for you to decide to wake up and call me?
One step away with a single triage desk I can handle, as in our case the
listed phone number will reach our front desk and you will be forwarded to
someone authoritative in the same call.
In a worst case scenario where the front desk is overwhelmed you will be
given our service that will contact a company manager.  I realize this is
effectively degrees of separation, but at least you are in the correct
organization from the start.

The problem I have is in dealing with private registrations often times
there are five or more degrees of separation between the listed contact and
someone that can actually do anything.  It can be as long as a week with
that scenario to get to someone that can do anything to actually resolve a
problem.  That just doesn't work.

In the case of abuse and NOC email addresses those certainly need to be
actual monitored email addresses, not a mailbox that will get checked once a
week and forwarded to someone who knows who to really send it to when they
have time.

I don't know about how you run your NOC, and I don't mean to tell you what
to do, but for our NOC legitimate role contacts are listed that will get to
staff.  If something is running amok in my network I want to know about it.
I don't want to know about it tomorrow.
WHOIS Source: ARIN
IP Address:   66.231.96.1
Country:      USA - North Dakota
Network Name: POLARCOMM-BLK-2
Owner Name:   Polar Communications
>From IP:      66.231.96.0
To IP:        66.231.127.255
Allocated:    Yes
Contact Name: Polar Communications
Address:      110 4th St E, PO Box 270, Park River
Email:        hostmaster at polarcomm.com
Abuse Email:  hostmaster at polarcomm.com
Phone:        +1-701-284-7221
Yes, that is our real name, our real phone number, that is a monitored email
address, and if you want you can even send me schwag like coffee cups or
t-shirts to the postal address listed and I will greatly appreciate it.

I can and do hang up on salesmen.  I really do not have a big problem with
junk calls.  I think you are working on a solution in search of a problem.

I will stick to my original statement - a part of transacting on public
networks is providing contact information.  If you don't want to do that you
can always tunnel through someone else's circuits and protect your
anonymity.

The administrators for routing devices connected directly to the public
network need to be reachable without hours of detective work or unreasonable
contact delays.

Kevin