[arin-ppml] private whois record

Chu, Yi [NTK] Yi.Chu at sprint.com
Tue Aug 7 14:08:13 EDT 2012

The situation is my customer (a company, not residential) had gone through a security audit.  The audit identified the whois record as a potential security risk.  What they are asking is for their whois  record (inetnum, or network record) to be private.  So the assigning LIR has access to the private record, as well as ARIN.  But not to general public.  This 'private' feature has been incorporated in APNIC for almost 10 years (APNIC-16, 2003 http://www.apnic.net/services/services-apnic-provides/helpdesk/faqs/privacy-of-customer-assignments---faqs) .   I would like to know first if ARIN has a similar feature to accommodate my customer's request.  If not, has the topic been discussed and if there is interest in pursuing.

yi