[arin-ppml] Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Apr 28 15:50:20 EDT 2012

On 4/28/12, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>  Please do not assume that ARIN will not request information regarding
>  actual customers assigned to dynamic IP pools; we do ask for this level
>  of detail if necessary for verification (i.e. while we are generally
>  satisfied by growth in customer counts, spot checking of those counts
>  also occurs.)
>
>  The same standard applies in either case: if you do not have an established
>  record of growth and/or have unusual change in growth rate and/or show
>  signs associated with common fraudulent requests, you will get asked for
>  additional  details.

Hi John,

Of the four folks across this conversation who've levied complaints
about ARIN asking for customer identities for /32 users, none have
expressed that ARIN inquired into customer identities for their
dynamic pools and one expressly stated that ARIN didn't ask about the
much larger dynamic pools at all. Four does not make a statistical
sample but it does suggest a pattern.

That having been said, you raise an issue I'd like to put to the floor:

Per your statement above, ARIN considers itself at liberty to inquire
into the personally identifiable information (PII) of the smallest and
most ephemeral consumers of addresses among the ISP's customers during
an ISP's application for addresses. Is that correct?

Folks, is that what we want?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004