[arin-ppml] Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Sat Apr 28 10:24:50 EDT 2012

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012, William Herrin wrote:

> When a hosting company assigns addresses to a newly provisioned VPS
> its every bit as automatic. And every bit as ephemeral: the customer
> may cancel in hours, days or years just as your DSL customer will hold
> an address (not necessarily that particular one) for the same period
> of time. Yet they're supposed to report that customer's identity in
> support of their address request while your DSL customer skates by
> anonymously?

That's true.  I haven't had to deal with ARIN on a space request since we
launched our cloud offering.  But again, with cloud, we have pools of IPs,
and as customers create/destroy virtual machines (which they do via a web
portal or API), IPs are automatically assigned / returned to the pool.
For cloud, I'd start out with "we've assigned these /24s to the cloud.
We have X number of live customers, Y number of VMs on average, with Z
number of VMs at peak."  We actually have some customers who will spin up
dozens of VMs for an hour, then destroy them all.  Obviously, each VM
needs at least one IP, and we have to have IP pools big enough to
accomodate customer load.

If I was applying for more space today, and ARIN demanded a mapping of
IP->customer for our cloud IP pools, I could give it to them with some
simple SQL statements.  That data would be stale before it got to ARIN,
and I'd include a note as such...and mention the above mentioned behavior
of certain customers frequently creating large numbers of short-lived VMs,
as justification for why there are many more IPs assigned to cloud than in
use at the particular instant the report was generated.