[arin-ppml] Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Sat Apr 28 09:32:55 EDT 2012

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012, William Herrin wrote:

> Your always-on customers are always consuming an IP address. You know
> which ones are connected to which DHCP pools and you keep a record of
> which one attaches to which address so that you can deal with network
> abuse reports. Right?
>
> Why should you have the privilege of keeping those customer identities
> secret from ARIN when someone using a the more direct method of
> assigning a specific /32 to a customer does not?

Because in one case your staff has assigned an IP to a customer.  In the
other, an IP was automatically assigned to a customer, and it might stick
with them for a few seconds to a few months.  You have no idea how long,
so your people make no record of the assignment.  For abuse tracking, you
would look at your network gear and/or its logs (RADIUS logs, etc.) to map
an IP to customer.