[arin-ppml] /32 assignment identification requirement

Lee Dilkie lee at dilkie.com
Fri Apr 27 14:40:09 EDT 2012

On 4/27/2012 2:00 PM, Jack Bates wrote:
> On 4/27/2012 12:09 PM, Chris Grundemann wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 10:32, Lee Dilkie<lee at dilkie.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> It seems to me, and I am not a lawyer, that even requesting third party
>>> customer information, much less storing it is just a ticking time
>>> bomb...
>>> waiting for the day ARIN gets either hacked or a disgruntled/wikileaks
>>> employee posts the information either publically or sells it.
>> Of course, that could happen at the ISP as well...
>>
> Of course. Like any secret, the more copies of the secret there are,
> the more likely it will spread or become public knowledge. It also
> becomes more problematic when you have a single location that contains
> a lot of secrets. It makes it more of a target for abuse.
>

> Jack

My point was more along the lines of "this is third party information".
It's one thing for an ISP's customer list to be compromised. At least in
a lawsuit a customer cannot claim that the ISP had no right to store the
data. But I worry that for ARIN the argument would come down to that,
does ARIN have more liability because it would have to make a
non-obvious argument as to why it needed to possess such data..

just me being a worry-wart I guess.

-lee