[arin-ppml] Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Thu Apr 26 21:03:47 EDT 2012

On 4/26/2012 7:34 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:
> The internal records of WHO or what person/organization/equipment
> individual IPs are assigned to, and/or the documentation of
> justification, must always be maintained, and made available to ARIN
> when it will facilitate their auditing requirements. The record of
> assignment of an IP is different from CONTACT records.

Sure. I have no doubt that most ISPs record what a /32 assignment is
assigned to. The problem, and the burden comes in the fact that the
records kept for such things do not reflect what ARIN may ask for.

Example: details of each piece of equipment that the ISP assigns an IP
to. Some ISPs may have easily queried inventory systems. I suspect most
small ISPs do not, and some large ones may not be able to easily query
the information.

Customer assignments may go across multiple databases or spreadsheets,
depending on how the ISP setup. I've seen spreadsheets that assign an IP
to an interface, then spreadsheets that assign an ATM PVC to a phone
number, then a billing system that attaches the phone number to a
customer name. In addition, there may be a separate database that
contains a username/customer name/IP assignment information, but the IP
information is just an added note. ie, it's easier referenced one
direction than it it the other. Given a certain user, you can lookup
what IP they use, but given an IP, more work is required to find the
user; much less provide a report for ARIN.

Jack