[arin-ppml] Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Apr 26 19:57:53 EDT 2012

On Apr 26, 2012, at 4:25 PM, Jack Bates wrote:
> I think it would be wiser to establish a structure of guidelines for auditing, personally. It appears ARIN also likes unfiltered configs or access to read unfiltered configs in routers, which provides much more detailed information concerning the network than the required justification (snmp communities, firewall rules, encrypted passwords). This would also cover the privacy issue of smaller customers.

Jack -

  ARIN does not require unfiltered access to configs; feel free to
  redact snmp communities, encrypted passwords, secret filter rules,
  and similar data.

> It would also be nice to place limits on if the data itself is kept by ARIN or purged. Does ARIN really need to keep private data indefinitely versus keeping that such data was received and signed off on by a representative? I'm not sure how long such data is currently kept. Perhaps John can say.

  We keep ticket data indefinitely (because it supports the accuracy
  of the registry) but have standard record retention policies for
  other data (e.g. emails with supporting data)   In the ideal world,
  your request and a supporting note from staff of review of technical
  data would be kept for long-term integrity, and we would purge any
  other non-request data after 2 years.  As it is, emails to hostmaster
  are associated with tickets (as they may be requests or supporting
  information) and are retained indefinitely as well.

  We've just established a fairly major records retention program, and
  need to figure out how to expand that to include request supporting
  data in a way that makes sense.  For now, your tickets and hostmaster
  emails are retained, and everything else (e.g. email direct to me)
  is on a two-year retention.  My preference would be to provide you
  visibility (eg. via ARIN online) into old supporting data, but we
  may have to set up a system which works well for new requests and
  manually go through the past records and remove any now unneeded
  supporting data.

FYI,
/John

John Curran