[arin-ppml] Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Apr 26 19:43:57 EDT 2012

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012, Larry Ash wrote:

> I tend to agree with the intent but not so much for privacy as for the
> simple fact that /32's tend to constantly be in flux. When I requested
> additional addressing it was obvious that until the SWIP showed very
> close to 80% the rest of the supporting documentation would not be
> reviewed. I was "advised" to SWIP all of my /30's and /32's. These have
> taken up most of the time I spend doing SWIP's since. It seems that they
> change daily. The smaller you are the greater the relative burden.
> Automation has an overhead that at a certain size is justified.
>
> Honesty becomes a major burden when the bureaucracy wants greater and greater
> detail.

I disagree.  At any given instant in time, you should know how all your IP
space is allocated.  If you're preparing documentation for ARIN to tell
them which customers reassignments you haven't SWIP'd are assigned to, you
give them the data as of the time you're preparing the document.  If your
assignments change that quickly, you can include a note that "this report
is correct as of ????-??-??, but some reassignments may have changed by
the time you read it."

The issue is that some members do a horrible job of keeping track of their
IP usage[1], and with IPv4 runout basically here, "I don't think we have
any more IPs left, can we have some more?" just doesn't cut it anymore.
If you don't know where all of your IPs are, you have no business asking
for more.  If you do know where they are, telling ARIN shouldn't be a
burden.

[1] Years ago, I did some very short work with a web hosting provider
(they had >/16 worth of various CIDRs).  They had zero internal
documentation of IP assignments other than router/switch configs.  I don't
know how they even functioned like that.