[arin-ppml] Revealing /32 customers?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Apr 26 16:36:01 EDT 2012

Hi folks,

Paraphrasing a private message I received during a recent NANOG discussion:

"We have roughly 66 /32 customer assignments and a /24 for management
addresses (switches, waps, wireless backhauls, servers, etc). Also a
number of large assignments to DHCP pools.

ARIN not only asked for the 66 customer names once, when the company
went back to ask for additional space after renumbering, they were
asked for it again. ARIN asked nothing concerning the DHCP pools,
which by themselves qualified the address space."

My understanding was that our consensus policy is that an ISP is
expected to reveal customer information about assignments of /29 and
larger. So, this brings to mind two questions:

1. Do current ARIN staff procedures have situations which place a
mandatory requirement for an ISP to reveal (under NDA or otherwise)
customers to whom less than a /29 of address spaces has been assigned?
By "mandatory" I mean that ARIN staff will not accept an alternate
form of demonstration that the /32 assignments are in use. The
customer identities are required.

2. If ARIN staff procedures are in fact as described in #1, from which
NRPM policies do those particular procedures derive?

Thanks,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004