[arin-ppml] ARIN Multiple Discrete Networks Policy

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Sep 29 16:31:40 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 08:13:33PM +0000, John Curran wrote:
> I am a huge supporter of the principles in ICP-2, but we have a case
> where the policy provides for allocation of space to a particular
> configuration "Multiple Discrete Networks" with defining what makes
> networks discrete.  That leaves ARIN staff having to determine based
> on the stated examples and policy history.
>
> If the community wants to clarify Multiple Discrete Networks so that
> any ISP (as well as the overall routing tables) can benefit from
> improved address block management, then it can make that policy
> change, but recognize that is a new use for a policy originally
> written for actual discrete networks.

I don't believe it is. There are two distinct issues here:

1) the definition of a discrete network, which could probably use some
further clarification, but which as far as I'm concerned is a different
topic.

2) the question of whether an applicant should be forced to demonstrate
that they "can't" live without the MDN policy in order to use it (where
being forced to "borrow from discrete network #1 to fill in discrete
network #2" seems to be an acceptable solution, regardless of the impact
to the global routing table).

My personal take on the matter is that ARIN is trying to enforce a new
rule that has never been part of the MDN policy or previous applications
of the policy, saying that if you "could" work around the need with
deaggregates that you don't qualify. I believe that the vast majority of
the existing MDN policy users "could" work around it with deaggregates
today, and don't see why this question is suddenly being asked.

Per the last conversation with ARIN on this issue, I believe that the
"you could solve it with deaggregates, so you don't qualify" issue was
the only point being discussed.