[arin-ppml] ARIN Multiple Discrete Networks Policy

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Sep 29 14:59:19 EDT 2011

Hello,

I've recently found myself at odds with ARIN's interpretation of the
Multiple Discrete Networks policy, and thought it might be useful to
bounce to issue off of the community to see what they think.

https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2001_6.html

As a quick background, this policy is used by entities who operate
multiple discrete networks (for any of a variety of reasons, many of
which are cited in the policy), and who wish to have their allocations
and utilization calculated separately for each discrete network. An
example of where this makes sense is when one discrete network is
growing much faster than another, and the organization wishes to receive
new space for use by only that discrete network, without having to "play
games" like creating multiple maintainer IDs to receive such treatment.

The problem is that ARIN doesn't believe "promoting routing aggregation
on the Internet" is a stated goal of this policy, and thus anyone who
admits "well yes technically I could always just break up my single ARIN
allocation into a bunch of individual /24s for use by each discrete
network" does not "NEED" the policy, and therefore does not qualify,
even if every other stated justification and requirement of the policy
is met.

In my mind, the ENTIRE PURPOSE of letting a single entity apply for
space with each discrete network standing on its own merits is really
for aggregation purposes. Otherwise, almost any network would be able to
take their single ARIN allocation and break it up into a bunch of
smaller deaggregates for use by each discrete network, thus being able
to achieve the normal overall utilization goals. At the end of the day,
I can't think of anything else that is actually being accomplished by
this policy EXCEPT maintaining reasonable aggregation.

To me, ARINs policy interpretation seems not only wrong given the stated
goals of the existing policy, but intentionally harmful to the shared
global resources of the Internet. Increased deaggregation carries
significant costs in terms of routing hardware upgrades necessary to
support larger FIB sizes and increased memory and CPU loads, as well as
slower convergence times, especially within large networks who must
carry many views/copies of the routing table (think route reflectors,
l3vpn providers, etc). Wasteful announcements impact every BGP speaking
router in the global DFZ, and while ARIN's policy has traditionally (and
sensibly) been "routing agnostic", I don't believe intentionally making
the problem worse for no good reason is the correct solution.

I'd very much like to see something done about this, either through the
community voicing its opinion to ARIN about their interpretation of the
existing policy, or through a policy proposal which amends this to make
maintaining reasonable route aggregation a stated goal of the MDN
policy.

Thoughts?