[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-157 Section 8.3 Simplification

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Thu Sep 22 23:44:11 EDT 2011

On Sep 22, 2011, at 10:01 PM, Tom Vest wrote:

>>> For now I'll assume that the relevance of ASNs to the other four of the six issues identified in the ISOC paper ("Identifying abusers," "Spam," "Authentication and security," and "Lawful intercept/forensics") is somewhat clearer; please let me know if you disagree.
>>
>> I'm struck that all of these issues are effectively dealt with by using Whois.  This is true for IP prefixes as well as ASNs.  So I'm not sure I understand how you're applying these beyond their original context of address sharing.  It's certainly not clear to me why they're reasons to prohibit updating Whois records to reflect ASN transfers.  Can you explain further?
> Briefly, you are both right in observing that using Whois is precisely how we solve this problem this today, and utterly wrong in assuming that Whois participation levels (e.g., share of population participating * [completeness/richness of individual records * accuracy of records * timeliness of registry record updates] as motivated solely by the uncoordinated (i.e., "policy-free") profit-seeking behavior of anonymous "sovereign" resource holders would actually remain high enough for that solution to remain viable.

This is a valid concern.  We already see different levels of Whois accuracy - between legacy and non-legacy records, for instance.  But I fail to see how section 8.3 transfers (i.e. of ASNs) make this worse.  Conversely, if people are motivated to perform transfers outside of ARIN, this would have a negative impact on Whois accuracy. Section 8.3 would seem to diminish such motivations.
-Benson