[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - revised

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 17:39:02 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 20:29, Chris Engel <cengel at conxeo.com> wrote:
> At the very least, I think there should be some mechanism in there to prevent proxy allocations out of ARIN's free pool.  In other words if you acquired an allocation of space from ARIN out of it's free pool (while that still lasts), you shouldn't be allowed to turn around and transfer that allocation under 8.3 a few weeks later nor should you be allowed to get a new assignment from the free pool if you just transfered space out (unless maybe the assignment was significantly smaller then what you transfered...i.e. to support consoldation).

While I have no doubt of the ability for someone to play that game
once,  I do not see ARIN staff not noticing the interesting definition of
(transient) "need" that would be required to do this with large quantities
of numbers, and initiate any appropriate reviews.

I agree with Owen that this is not a perfect policy, but is another one
of the IPv4 pragmatic policies that we need to pass, and move on.

Support.

Gary