[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - revised

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 16:42:13 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 1:29 PM, Chris Engel <cengel at conxeo.com> wrote:
> At the very least, I think there should be some mechanism in there to prevent proxy allocations out of ARIN's free pool.  In other words if you acquired an allocation of space from ARIN out of it's free pool (while that still lasts), you shouldn't be allowed to turn around and transfer that allocation under 8.3 a few weeks later nor should you be allowed to get a new assignment from the free pool if you just transfered space out (unless maybe the assignment was significantly smaller then what you transfered...i.e. to support consoldation).
>
> Does 8.3 have any mechanisms of that sort currently?
>
> It seems to me this issue becomes relevant when you are dealing with regions that have run out of free pool space at substantialy different times. Otherwise it strikes me that you are functionaly doing nothing more then creating a system where entities are just using proxies to get address assignments from the free pools of RIR's that haven't exhuasted them yet?

Good point.  I believe ARIN has procedures in place to deal with this
today, but if they/we feel additional policy is needed to prevent this
sort of behavior, I would be glad to help with a policy proposal.  As
a data point, the original transfer policy proposal, 2008-2, contained
the following explicit restriction:

 - The transferor has not received any IPv4 allocations or assignments from
ARIN (through ordinary allocations or assignments, or through this Simple
Transfer policy) within the preceding 12 months.

2008-2 was considered by the ARIN community to be too complicated, so
we adopted 8.3 as a much simpler alternative.

-Scott