[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-157 Section 8.3 Simplification

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 22:36:04 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 02:03, Kevin Blumberg <kevinb at thewire.ca> wrote:
> Owen,
>
> I think there is a need for 2-Byte ASN in 8.3. If someone from ARIN could confirm the number of times in the past 12 months a 4-Byte was returned when the member
> realized that there upstream or peer didn't support it yet. This was discussed at the last meeting. While I expect it to get better it isn't there yet and there is a finite number
> of 2-Byte AS numbers available.

Agreed there is a finite number available.  I am less
interested in the number of times a 4-byte number was
exchanged for a 2-byte number than the IPv4 equivalent
question which is what is the projected "runout" date in the
various freepool  inventories (yes, based on inaccurate
assumptions that past request rates can be used as future
predictors).  If it is 6 months that is far different than if it
is 6 years.

Gary