[arin-ppml] Advisory Council Meeting Results - September 2011

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 18:48:04 EDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 11:32 AM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> In accordance with the ARIN Policy Development Process, the ARIN Advisory
> Council (AC) held a meeting on 15 September 2011.
>
> The AC abandoned the following proposal:
>
>  ARIN-prop-156 Update 8.3 to allow inter-RIR transfers
>
> The AC believes with APNIC-prop-96 moving forward in its region,
> restoring a needs basis for transfers within the APNIC region, that
> ARIN-prop-156 has been overtaken by events and that Draft Policy
> ARIN-2011-1 is a better version of an inter-RIR transfer policy.

Agreed.  When I wrote ARIN-prop-156, it seemed like the only way
forward on inter-RIR transfers with APNIC.  This was because
APNIC-prop-096 (which restores a needs basis to transfers within the
APNIC region) was not on their agenda for Busan, and because
ARIN-2011-1 requires compatible needs based transfer policies.  Since
I submitted ARIN-prop-156, APNIC put prop-096 back on the agenda, and
achieved consensus for it, and is moving it forward through their
policy process.  Therefore, prop-156 is no longer necessary, and I
believe something along the lines of ARIN-2011-1 is the best way
forward.  I hope we can develop consensus in Philadelphia and move it
forward after that.

-Scott